Unity Ads over-caching ad placements....

So it seems the Unity Ads plugin starts loading ads on it’s .init() function and caches 4 or 5 ads that will generally go unplayed. It’s early on in our beta test, but our Ad Requests currently far exceed our impressions, which indicates that ads are generally being loaded too early and are never shown. This can drive our eCPM down because the ad networks will give you lower quality fill if they perceive you to be “wasting” the ads they’re giving you.

We used to use AppLovin that had a .load() function so we could control when an ad is loaded. Can we get similar functionality in UnityAds or a parameter to adjust how many ads are cached?

I looked around and there does seem to be a “load” API in the Unity Ads SDK. I don’t know why we don’t have a .load() method. Perhaps when we created it, that functionality wasn’t available.  I can ask about getting it added, but with our focus on getting to open source, it’s not likely we can get to this soon.

Rob

Understood. Our team did some digging too and it seems Unity may not want devs using that load() call–so this might not be an issue.

Ahh… the dark arts of in game advertising :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking a look.

I looked around and there does seem to be a “load” API in the Unity Ads SDK. I don’t know why we don’t have a .load() method. Perhaps when we created it, that functionality wasn’t available.  I can ask about getting it added, but with our focus on getting to open source, it’s not likely we can get to this soon.

Rob

Understood. Our team did some digging too and it seems Unity may not want devs using that load() call–so this might not be an issue.

Ahh… the dark arts of in game advertising :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking a look.