Welcome to inneractive

@Orly or Peach,

I am trying to understand why we should use the Full Screen ads. They just give us the same sized ad in the center of the screen with a white background and a Skip button that doesn’t work 1/2 the time.

In fact on 3 different iPads it locks up 50% of the time (the SKIP button doesn’t skip even if it had counted down to 0). The only way to get it working on these machines is to do a full reboot of the iPads.

Since we don’t have an event on close, and since full screen ads lock up 50% of the time, why would we want to use this mode? [import]uid: 16734 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78204[/import]

Okay, regarding the multi-touch issue with inneractive ads, as related above, and my workaround:

I figured that I could capture the very next touch event in the game and call ads.hide(). This clears the ad only after the player has skipped through. Once the ads.hide function is called, this particular multi-touch issue resolves itself. But I was still aware of the potential disruption to the gameplay if the player’s first move was to initiate a multi-touch gesture. So I opted to call up our game’s pause menu (under the ad) when I called the ad. This way, the player is presented with the pause menu, presses “resume,” a single-touch event, and the pause menu’s exit function also calls the ads.hide function.

This may actually work out in another way. I was looking for a way to draw the player’s attention to certain other things, like our in-app purchase options, a call to rate the app, etc. These messages I can now incorporate into the pause screen, with a “Did you know” sort of approach.

This may work for this app, this time, but please don’t let that delay the fix that I am sure is coming. Right Ansca? [import]uid: 64596 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78207[/import]

@Shane,

Sounds like you have a workable fix for your game and that’s good. Unfortunately that doesn’t fix the issue for our app.

I think the best solution is for us to implement our own version of the full screen ad. Basically do what they are doing by drawing a white background (or whatever color you want) with an event listener to handle tap/touch events. Then call ads.show() with a position to center the ad. After whatever delay we want we can call ads.hide() and remove the white background.

[begin rant]
What I don’t understand is why Ansca isn’t fixing this issue but continues to push Inneractive ads. Ansca, if you want us to use Inneractive (and trust me, I DO want to use it), then please fix the bugs that have been reported with it.
[end rant] [import]uid: 16734 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78208[/import]

Well I can’t speak for the skip button not working. That was supposedly fixed.

But the answer “Why” is pretty straight forward. If you have a game, your players are focused on game play and you’re spitting ads at them they won’t engage with.

If you use what is called “Interstitial Ads” in ad speak, ads that show up in between activities, then the player is more likely to engage with the ad and click through on it it. The higher your click rate, the better your revenue will be.

While I think a blank screen with a small banner doesn’t look that good, perhaps at some point, when inneractive is selling more full screen inventory, they can get better creatives than just the banners that we currently have.

One full screen albeit a banner every couple of levels should make you more money than a 30 second during play rotation.

[import]uid: 19626 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78211[/import]

@robmiracle,

You misunderstood. I WANT to use Full Screen ads. I am going to use full screen ads. I just cannot use it if the ad gets stuck, and would have to implement it myself (which isn’t hard).

Interstitial ads are definitely the preferable way to show ads. Never said it wasn’t.

I’ll check the daily build notes and see if there is something about the Skip hang being fixed.

Ken [import]uid: 16734 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78215[/import]

EDIT: and that is what happens when you like to write long posts. EVERYONE beats you to the punch :slight_smile:

@ Ken,

I haven’t encountered the locking up issue yet. That would be the final straw for me, regarding inneractive. But to the other issue:

The full screen ad creates a stop and focus moment. Yes, it takes the player out of the game. We hesitate to do so to a valued customer. But then again, they got this app for free, and their value to us is ultimately performing an act that makes us money. Which, in this case, means click that ad.

When an ad appears in a banner during gameplay, players may see it, but they are unlikely to truly focus on it, and most users form ad blindness over time. Plus, if they do click, they are taken out of the gameplay anyways.

I get that some players may chose to delete the game rather than put up with the ads, but, really, the number of players that would reject an app with full screen ads, but both tolerate AND click on a banner ad, must be a small minority indeed.

Of course, you could do the following: since the ads are, so far at least, only banner ads on a white background, why not create your own full-screen ads using inneractive banners and your own background screen, skip buttons, and own the look and functionality of it all? Hmm. I got some coding to do… [import]uid: 64596 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78214[/import]

@Shane,

If you read above your post that is exactly what I said I was going to do. Most likely you were still writing your post when mine went up. [import]uid: 16734 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78216[/import]

@Ken, yeah I got that, hence my edit. It must be a good sign if all of us come to the same conclusion at the same time, right? [import]uid: 64596 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78217[/import]

i am using it now with my android app but I am not happy with the whole experience. it works sometimes. the ad wasn’t coming up in the afternoon or earlier this evening. it’s coming up now but it keeps showing just one ad (audible)

-SI [import]uid: 46630 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78223[/import]

*This message is for Orly or “inneractive” only, not for Peach*

That’s lame. seriously, you should take it to your higher management and discuss implementing SSL asap. this is not only bad for your company’s image but it also reflects negative on Ansca management team too. No one from Ansca management probably would say/criticize about it openly here but have a little chat with them about it if you haven’t done so and I have a good hunch they would be cringing about it. I understand there can technical/logistical issues being new but to deny/cover such thing with sugar coating is wrong.

ok I am believing the transaction is secure when you transfer fund from your institution to our banks but the transaction that we are submitting with our personal/sensitive information from browser to your system is not secured. Providing encrypted transaction is NOT our/users’ responsibility, it’s yours (inneractive)

My intention here is not to argue or pick a fight. I see what’s blatantly wrong and I pointed that out so you could prompt action.

-SI
[import]uid: 46630 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78226[/import]

@Ken - how are you going with the latest daily build?

I haven’t actually had any issues with the skip button, although so far I’ve only used it in iPhone apps, no iPad.

Any bugs filed will be looked at and solved; there is a big scramble after the holiday break but obviously things like this are a priority.

@Saidul - You really don’t need to specify your post is “Not to Peach” :wink: [import]uid: 52491 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78237[/import]

@Peach,

The latest daily build didn’t have any build notes regarding a fix for the Skip issue so I didn’t install it. Let me know if they forgot to list that as a bug fix and I’ll give it a try.
[import]uid: 16734 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78251[/import]

Ken, you’re correct - I just looked and see no notes.

I’m going to try and chase this up in the morning although being the weekend I may not be able to get back to you as quickly as I’d like.

Do you happen to have a bug number for the issue to hand? (If not that’s fine, I’ll scour fogbugz before sending off an email about this.)

Thanks,
Peach :slight_smile: [import]uid: 52491 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78288[/import]

If it was a fix at inneractive, it probably would not show up in the daily build release notes. [import]uid: 19626 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78336[/import]

@rob,

I don’t see how Inneractive could fix code in a Corona game remotely unless the Full screen ad is just a full screen web pop up. [import]uid: 16734 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78340[/import]

Hey guys - I’m not certain which side needed to fix what but I will try to chase it up Monday morning. (Until then, Orly may know.)

Hope you’re both having a nice weekend!

Peach :slight_smile: [import]uid: 52491 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78443[/import]

@ saidul.islam
I appreciate you pointing out things for improvement - I do believe that there is a way of saying everything as we are on the same side and try to bring the best for our developers.

I did talk with our team at inneractive and they pointed out something that I did not know :slight_smile:
We use an ifram inside the page which is 100% SSL!

So now, you can be positively sure that it is safe to add your payment details to the website :slight_smile:
[import]uid: 109623 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78469[/import]

Hey mobilefun4me,

Ad-netowrks and agencies are not targeting these groups as they are too young to make purchases/read/understand banners.

If your application includes also the parents of the children (like reading a book) or some activity that they do together - than age group should be of the parents.

[import]uid: 109623 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78501[/import]

Shane and Ken,

Creating your own full screen ad is a GREAT idea and if you have the ability this is something that you should do.
I can give you an example of Android developer who animated the banners in a really nice way - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pocketeers.funkycam3d&hl=en

Another reason why we are pushing full screen ads is because by the end of Q1 we are going to implement the rich media ads in the full screen ads. These ads generate much higher eCPM - http://blog.inner-active.com/2011/09/inneractive-goes-interactive-with-10-global-rich-media-mobile-ad-partners/
[import]uid: 109623 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78503[/import]

@Orly,

I was able to implement my own full screen ad and it resolves the hang with the one currently in Corona. Aside from dealing with the lock up it also allows me to know when the screen is dismissed. [import]uid: 16734 topic_id: 19981 reply_id: 78835[/import]