What's happened with X-Pressive.com (Particle/Text Candy)?

PC just received an update. Glad to hear Mike is well and still in it. Let’s hope Widget Candy gets the much needed iOS 7 attention soon.

Sigh… I just wish he would reply to me… Sent a new email on wednesday…still no reply. Maybe I’ll have to try sending it from a different email address in case my mail is getting stuck in a spam folder for some reason.

I used another email address and I got a reply in a timely manner.

Maybe my other email address gets filtered by their spam filter for some reason…

IT’S …ALIVE! :blink: :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, we are still alive (we’ve never been away) and yes, ALL Candy products are still maintained, updated and supported. We are constantly working on them. We’ve been quite busy the last weeks while porting them to other platforms as well, so there wasn’t time to post on forums.

Although we did not have time to wander through all the forums, we usually reply to EVERY email you send to us. However, it may happen that we are literally offline for a week or so due to hardware or technical issues. Last week we had to replace ALL power adapters here because they all conked out at once :-o This is quite annoying for us, too , but hardware quality seems to get worse year for year… :angry:

Widget Candy:

As we wrote into another thread here some weeks ago -we did not change a single line here, it just broke with the latest Corona update(s), so we assume this is a Corona based issue. If we would write a workaround for this, it would broke as soon as Ansca fixes this again, so we also have to wait for a fix here. A possible workaround for affected users is to set the .disableInput property of the input widget to true, as described in the Widget Candy docs (http://www.x-pressive.com/WidgetCandy_Corona/reference.html#WG14) and provice a custom native input field. This allows you to provide your own native input -also see the included sample code “sample_input_text_custom.lua” which demonstrates how to do so. The advantage of doing so is that you have full control over the native input then.

Text Candy:

A Text Candy update was still in our work schedule (right after the Widget Candy port we are currently working on) but we gave it a top priority now. We just updated Text Candy to get rid of the deprecated sprite API and are awaiting some user feedback before spreading the update. If you are a Text Candy owner, just drop us an email if you want to test the updated version.

Particle Candy:

Particle Candy has been updated recently, including a new browser to conveniently go
through all the included sample codes. It also got many brandnew effects
included:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_OBW3_6js

Further Updates:

As written above, we are currently working on a Widget Candy port, if this is done, you can definately await some new features to be added to the Candy libs.

You should by all means subsribe to our Twitter channel (@XPRESSIVECOM) and Youtube channel (XpressiveGames) since all updates and news are announced there first. Since update notifications by email may be blocked by your ESPs, you might still receive our Twitter notifications.

Thanks for the update!

Very cool updates (new effects) I am actually already using one them in my upcoming game. I am sure I will use some more (PC) I am curious what graphics 2.0 means for Particle Candy library? Will we be able to use it with this new Corona graphic engine?

Thanks again for great new effects with PC!

Mo

I’ve used some Particle Candy effects with G2.0 and they work as expected, but there’s a lot more that PC can do so I can’t speak for the whole package…

GREAT to know! Thanks a lot Ingemar:) Mo

Guys at x-pressive great work on particle candy new effects. I’m an old customer and we are going to use these new effects in our games, or at least the particle images.

We have learned a lot from your code and it served us well for developing some prototypes…

That being said, we had to rewrite the library core because of two main reasons:

1. performance - the library is not lua optimized. A LOT of table property lookups and very little work on local variable.

2. We like the Corona SDK API and grown used to it. Particle Candy should be “Coronified” and use a similar API. I really don’t like to have to manage the engines objects (emitter, particles) in a special way and I wanted them to feel more “native” to corona.

@gtt: if you made any changes to the library that you also want to have included in future updates, just contact us and let us know about.

About the API: since Particle Candy is available for other SDKs too, our goal is to provide exactly the same API on every SDK. This allows you to port your particle effects to any other SDK <b>without changing a single line of it’s code</b>. Therefore, we wanted an API that is quite universal and not too specialized on a certain SDK.

IT’S …ALIVE! :blink: :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, we are still alive (we’ve never been away) and yes, ALL Candy products are still maintained, updated and supported. We are constantly working on them. We’ve been quite busy the last weeks while porting them to other platforms as well, so there wasn’t time to post on forums.

Although we did not have time to wander through all the forums, we usually reply to EVERY email you send to us. However, it may happen that we are literally offline for a week or so due to hardware or technical issues. Last week we had to replace ALL power adapters here because they all conked out at once :-o This is quite annoying for us, too , but hardware quality seems to get worse year for year… :angry:

Widget Candy:

As we wrote into another thread here some weeks ago -we did not change a single line here, it just broke with the latest Corona update(s), so we assume this is a Corona based issue. If we would write a workaround for this, it would broke as soon as Ansca fixes this again, so we also have to wait for a fix here. A possible workaround for affected users is to set the .disableInput property of the input widget to true, as described in the Widget Candy docs (http://www.x-pressive.com/WidgetCandy_Corona/reference.html#WG14) and provice a custom native input field. This allows you to provide your own native input -also see the included sample code “sample_input_text_custom.lua” which demonstrates how to do so. The advantage of doing so is that you have full control over the native input then.

Text Candy:

A Text Candy update was still in our work schedule (right after the Widget Candy port we are currently working on) but we gave it a top priority now. We just updated Text Candy to get rid of the deprecated sprite API and are awaiting some user feedback before spreading the update. If you are a Text Candy owner, just drop us an email if you want to test the updated version.

Particle Candy:

Particle Candy has been updated recently, including a new browser to conveniently go
through all the included sample codes. It also got many brandnew effects
included:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_OBW3_6js

Further Updates:

As written above, we are currently working on a Widget Candy port, if this is done, you can definately await some new features to be added to the Candy libs.

You should by all means subsribe to our Twitter channel (@XPRESSIVECOM) and Youtube channel (XpressiveGames) since all updates and news are announced there first. Since update notifications by email may be blocked by your ESPs, you might still receive our Twitter notifications.

Thanks for the update!

Very cool updates (new effects) I am actually already using one them in my upcoming game. I am sure I will use some more (PC) I am curious what graphics 2.0 means for Particle Candy library? Will we be able to use it with this new Corona graphic engine?

Thanks again for great new effects with PC!

Mo

I’ve used some Particle Candy effects with G2.0 and they work as expected, but there’s a lot more that PC can do so I can’t speak for the whole package…

GREAT to know! Thanks a lot Ingemar:) Mo

Guys at x-pressive great work on particle candy new effects. I’m an old customer and we are going to use these new effects in our games, or at least the particle images.

We have learned a lot from your code and it served us well for developing some prototypes…

That being said, we had to rewrite the library core because of two main reasons:

1. performance - the library is not lua optimized. A LOT of table property lookups and very little work on local variable.

2. We like the Corona SDK API and grown used to it. Particle Candy should be “Coronified” and use a similar API. I really don’t like to have to manage the engines objects (emitter, particles) in a special way and I wanted them to feel more “native” to corona.

@gtt: if you made any changes to the library that you also want to have included in future updates, just contact us and let us know about.

About the API: since Particle Candy is available for other SDKs too, our goal is to provide exactly the same API on every SDK. This allows you to port your particle effects to any other SDK <b>without changing a single line of it’s code</b>. Therefore, we wanted an API that is quite universal and not too specialized on a certain SDK.

I am moving away from native fields in a current business app to hopefully publish through Corona Cards and Win 8. I have converted the fields and now am working on the text box. Is there any way to handle multiline text input?

I am moving away from native fields in a current business app to hopefully publish through Corona Cards and Win 8. I have converted the fields and now am working on the text box. Is there any way to handle multiline text input?