Black flash on transition to foreground

@XeduR - Thank you for your thoughtful attention and replies.

To answer your question - No. As I said previously - that pink image is not mine. The simulator shows it as pink and on real device it shows as black. My app does not have either. Please note that this is occurring with other apps made with Solar 2D (see Markus’ post above and other apps downloaded from the app store). I only posted the animation (which I can only create in the simulator) so it would demonstrate what is actually happening.
I have a launch screen which works perfectly. It has no pink or black in it. iOS only displays the launch screen when the app is first launched. It does not display it again when the app is subsequently brought to the foreground. Also, iOS controls the backgrounding and foregrounding of apps. When you background it takes a snapshot of the screen and uses that in its transitions. So, unfortunately these suggestions will not solve the problem. Believe me, I tried a lot of things like this already before posting on this issue. I also searched widely and could not find that this was an issue with iOS in general.

One question - can someone please indicate where is the best place to submit bugs? Here or in Github?

Thanks again.

Have you managed to solve this?

@bgmadclown Unfortunately this is not something I can solve. It is part of how Solar2D works and that code needs to be modified to get rid of this.

After I saw this, I looked at Empire City by @anon63346430 and Flick Solitaire by @Ian_Masters. Didn’t see that behavior on those games so I thought, maybe there is something we’re missing out on your case.

Interesting. Yet I saw it on other apps I downloaded.

I can confirm that this also happens with my apps updated in the last week (4 year old iPad mini) running the latest iOS and Corona build 3604. My older apps that haven’t been updated since 2017 do not suffer from this problem.

As much as I don’t like it, I dare not hold off on updating my apps waiting for a fix.

I have been talking about this problem since last year.
Is there anybody who can clarify this issue?
This is one of the things discussed in the past.

I think it’s now in Vlad’s hands or anyone else who cares to take up modifying the code. That is beyond me at this time.
I added the issue in Github but there are many issues posted there.
Does anyone know how the backlog is managed and prioritized? @vlads

@bgmadclown you can check it out in Designer City 2 by @anon63346430.
And on the contrary, I wondered why no one had commented on this matter.
I’ve been talking about this since last year, but if you look at @Edissey’s video, can’t you clearly see the problem?

In the video, The left is a game made by @anon63346430 with Corona, and the right is a game made with Unity.

@bgmadclown @SUPER_TOKI
Not seeing anything in the video. All I see is a blank screen.
AND just like that it has appeared :slight_smile:

I forgot to correct myself earlier, sorry about that. After looking at it a few more times I realized this was a thing. Most developers probably think it’s not that big of a deal. I haven’t realized the transition until I saw this thread :slight_smile:

@Edissey Attached the video again.

@SUPER_TOKI Yes, I saw it. So, now we all agree this does exist. Not sure if and when anything will ever be done about it.

@vlads @Edissey One more thing, if the overall game color of Designer City2 by @anon63346430 is the color that turns the Home Indicator to black, a black screen may cause the problem below.

I still experience this.

After a brief conversation and testing with @vlads.
This problem can certainly be solved with METAL. The good news is that vlad is finally touching METAL. In 2020.3612 (Metal Alpha) and later versions this issue is resolved.

We have the same problem. When our app returns from the background it fades in a black screen on top of our content. Then the black screen disappears. This looks totally glitchy.

We are using Solar2D version 3617. As @SUPER_TOKI said, the problem is resolved only if you build with Metal. But, we won’t be using METAL. Our app is built natively via Xcode and as far as I know, Metal is not yet ready for native builds.

We never had such a problem with any of our apps in the past. Has anyone found a solution (other than building with Metal)? @vlads are you aware of this problem?

Trying to debug this problem for days now. We started stripping down our app to the point that we only had main.lua creating a simple rectangle. The problem with the black screen persisted.

Then we built one of Corona’s sample projects (HorseAnimation). Same issue.

We build with Corona Simulator 3621 and iOS14 (not Metal). If we build with Metal everything is good. But, as I said, our final app will be built natively, so we can’t use Metal.

Here are two video captures that show how the app behaves when coming to the foreground, with Metal and not Metal. It may seem as a minor glitch to some, but not for us. It makes our app look unprofessional and we just cannot accept it. Our app launches in November. @vlads can you please help?

I would advise on using metal anyway. You can find libtemplate for metal inside Resources/iostemplates inside CoronaSimulator.app

This is our first app built natively and we are still struggling with Xcode. Is this the folder you are referring to? And what should we do exactly?

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 12.39.55 PM