Compiling the Ouya examples on Corona Starter

In this thread we were asked to continue in this new forum. The last post:

Examples, documentation, and videos are now available:

https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/corona.md

I’ll be working on the plugin for PRO users next…

I have tried and tested the Virtual Controller app mentioned on that page. I have compiled this using the latest free version of Corona Starter (Build 2013:1137).

My fears came true: the app does not detect any controllers or buttons at all. I believe the outcome would be different when i would compile using daily builds. So the resulting question i have is simple:

Will ouya support be available in the free version of Corona SDK? If so, will that include use of the plugin (mentioned above) currently in development? Is the plugin needed to enable the “free trial / buy full version” policy that Ouya games are meant to follow?

In short: will i, at some point in the near future, be able to use the free version of Corona SDK to make a full Ouya game?

(I realise i could pay the money and get a Corona Pro subscription, but with my programming skills, i honestly don’t expect to earn back any decent money of my apps… )

This is a common question :wink:

As a starter you will be able to build for Ouya when the next public build of Corona SDK is coming out. The plugin I guess will be available for ALL users - BUT stuff like IAPs are still not available for starters, just like iOS and Android IAPs.

So you won´t be able to test your app/game on Ouya right now, but I don´t think that the next public release is so far away :slight_smile:

As you already said the Ouya ecosystem is based on “freemium” apps - you can download them for free but have to pay in order to unlock the full game.

So if you are interested in earning money with your Ouya game then you have to upgrade your account to “Pro” anyway.

Max / CineTek

Max hit it on the head.  Build 1137 (the last public build) had very little if any support for HID devices (i.e. controllers).  These have been added in to the daily builds in stages.  I believe that currently everything you need to build an Ouya app is in place except for the In App Purchases which I know is very actively being worked on.  The IAP part will be a plugin and won’t be dependent on the next public build.    We are working on the next public build, so watch the blogs and newsletters for the announcement when it’s ready. 

Okay, that made it very clear to me. While releasing free games for ouya is probably fun too, i will seriously consider going pro.

Thank you very much for clearing this up!

Does the fact that it will be a plugin imply that only Enterprise users will have access to it and thus only Enterprise users will be able to publish to the Ouya store?

No, Pro subscribers for certain will have access to it. I not sure about Starter accounts yet.  All of our other IAP is limited to Pro accounts, but we make advertising available to starters.  I’ll see if I can find out.

Hi everyone - once the OUYA plugin is available, since it has in-app purchases, it will be available to Pro users but not Starters.

green.castle - just to make sure we are on the same page, Enterprise users can make their own plugins. But all Corona Plugins we have made available (http://www.coronalabs.com/resources/plugins) are available to Pro users and often to Starters as well.

Thanks for the update.  Is there any kind of ETA you can provide for the plugin for Pro?

I’ve not heard an ETA yet.  The OUYA developer is active here in the forums and we will announce it when it’s ready. 

I can confirm that the build released today, recognises the controller buttons properly. Finally i can make my players shoot eachother! B) Thank you devs, for making this release public!

Good news! Thanks for reporting this.

I just added the Corona PRO plugin for in-app-purchases.

https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/corona

Please let me know if you find any issues.

Ah logged that with my test account.

I verified that you need Corona PRO (not starter) to use the in-app-purchase plugin. And it works on Mac and Windows.

https://github.com/ouya/ouya-sdk-examples/tree/master/Corona/Submission/ouya/samples/InAppPurchasesPlugin

THANK YOU!!! My company is going to announce our iOS/Android game next week and now we can officially reveal our special Ouya version as well!! :slight_smile:

This is a common question :wink:

As a starter you will be able to build for Ouya when the next public build of Corona SDK is coming out. The plugin I guess will be available for ALL users - BUT stuff like IAPs are still not available for starters, just like iOS and Android IAPs.

So you won´t be able to test your app/game on Ouya right now, but I don´t think that the next public release is so far away :slight_smile:

As you already said the Ouya ecosystem is based on “freemium” apps - you can download them for free but have to pay in order to unlock the full game.

So if you are interested in earning money with your Ouya game then you have to upgrade your account to “Pro” anyway.

Max / CineTek

Max hit it on the head.  Build 1137 (the last public build) had very little if any support for HID devices (i.e. controllers).  These have been added in to the daily builds in stages.  I believe that currently everything you need to build an Ouya app is in place except for the In App Purchases which I know is very actively being worked on.  The IAP part will be a plugin and won’t be dependent on the next public build.    We are working on the next public build, so watch the blogs and newsletters for the announcement when it’s ready. 

Okay, that made it very clear to me. While releasing free games for ouya is probably fun too, i will seriously consider going pro.

Thank you very much for clearing this up!

Does the fact that it will be a plugin imply that only Enterprise users will have access to it and thus only Enterprise users will be able to publish to the Ouya store?

What’s the game called so that I can watch for it?

We are currently in touch with two of your staff guys :wink: