Do you have an OUYA?

Hi folks, this is a quick survey to see how many of you have an OUYA.

Why am I asking?  Curiosity mostly.  I’ve got one and I wonder how many of you have one too.  I’d like to see as many Corona on OUYA games as possible.  That said, I know its hard to pick up a new technology.  So, if there are several OUYA owners, it might be worthwhile for me to write up a starter kit and or some tutorials.

Regardless, if you’ve got one, please answer the ONE QUESTION SURVEY at this link: http://goo.gl/vaB6cO

Also, if you have something more to say, feel free to say it below.

PS - Does anyone know how to embed a BBCODE Survey Directly?  I know I’ve seen it done here before.

OK, FIXED BROKEN SURVEY.

I got mine last Wednesday.  I’ve ported my game OmniBlaster to it, kind of…  This was a my very first Corona app and the code is a disaster.  There is no scene management.  I ran out of local variables.  The code is seriously disorganized.  I don’t know what crack I was on when I decided to make a Green Throttle app out of it.  Before the OUYA came, I had it converted to storyboard, converted from a portrait to a landscape app and had most buttons responding to GT (Using your GT event add on) and you can even play it.  It’s full of bugs.  The performance is awful (I changed it from a 30fps app to a 60 fps app and still need to tune everything).  I’ve got graphic problems out the wazoo.  My 512x2048 background strips that I cycle through really can’t handle 1920px wide :-)  My menu is horrible in this format.   But by Monday I had ported it to OUYA with basically the same state I had it in for GT (perhaps a little further along).  With limited free time, I’m not sure how fast I’m going to get this app out.

I really enjoy it so far.  I’ve been fighting trying to get a PS3 controller working.  I think my son gave me a bad one.  It was working mostly then it stopped and won’t power back on…    Most of the games that are there are kinda weak IMHO so there is room for some good quality games.   I think my space shooter could be fun there.  I also think my trivia game could port well there and I’ve got a card game in the works that I think could play well there as well.   There is a total lack of casual/family games (well there is You Don’t know Jack but…).

I have one and have been testing out an app I have been developing since the beginning of the year.  Until the latest Corona builds with inputDevice support, I couldn’t really get the controller to behave the way I wanted.  Now, with build 1198, things are working pretty well.  I hope to release a drawing app soon after the IAP plugin for Corona Pro is available.

RoamingGamer - Thanks for the Corona Geek videos with all the information you provided on the new HID support in Corona builds.  Really helped me get started on fixing up the OUYA stuff again.

UPDATE - Rob and I both make statements to the effect that the OUYA game catalog is currently kind of weak.  Just to be clear, I still think (and I’m sure Rob agrees) that OUYA is a good product and the company is doing the right thing by having a very open publishing policy.  That said, having an open publishing policy (especially for a new platform) will always result in a (‘me first’) flood of lesser quality games.   :o

**So, once again (as I say below)…   :lol:****Calling all Corona game developers! :lol: ** Get on it, and make games for OUYA and other non-standard android devices like Android Mini PCs.  There is an untapped market there.

@Rob,

Yeah, I’ve run into that problem (re: using strips and recyclable background for horiz or vert scrolling).  When you scale, you can get artifacts.  I’m sure there is a proper way to fix that, but I’m not sure what it is.  My best guess is to create a single image with extra edges.  Then, assuming your strip has say 12 strips, of which two (2) are extras (one on each side), you treat the image like a spritesheet and cycle through 2…11 over and over.  This should solve the artifact issue.  The extra end images deal with edge-blending artifacts. 

Now that I’ve thought about this, I’ll try this out and post about it if the concept works.

As far as the current selection being WEAK. I agree.  We’re seeing a few good games and many ‘me first’ games.

So, all reading community members!!!  Make good games and put them up on OUYA!  Rob needs more games to play. :wink: and so do I.

One last thing.  Great article/tutorial! ==> http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2013/08/27/tutorial-introduction-to-game-controllers/

@tonygod - Thanks and don’t forget to read Rob’s recent article. (link above)

Great article, very useful reference.  Thanks for posting, Rob!

Now I just have to figure out the axis stuff.  It’s going to be a blog post that will challenge my communications skills :-) 

Looking forward to reading it!

I don’t have an OUYA yet…but I’m going to buy one soon and try my luck at porting some apps :slight_smile:

@Rob,

Have you tried this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller&hl=en

Unless I’m mistaken, it is an app to help map inputs from SixAxis/DualShock controllers to fixed HID inputs.

-Ed

I have an ouya, and been making an Ouya game in Corona SDK since i got it early august. Unfortunately since i’m not a Pro subscriber, i’ve been stuck with having only 1 working controller with only directional, O, A and menu buttons to test my game. So far it’s enough to test, and i’m fairly sure when the next public build comes, i can easliy turn this into a working 4-player game.

The only dilemma i’m facing now, is whether to release it for free, or invest in a Pro licence and try to squeeze a few dollars from the players.

The next public release should be out soon so you can have access to a few more buttons and the axis.  You are still going to need a Pro license to put up a for pay app on OUYA.

I would love to have one, but we can’t buy it yet in Switzerland :angry:

Got it, but it’s still boxed.  I’m really excited about the prospects.  Thank you Corona!  :smiley:

I got mine last Wednesday.  I’ve ported my game OmniBlaster to it, kind of…  This was a my very first Corona app and the code is a disaster.  There is no scene management.  I ran out of local variables.  The code is seriously disorganized.  I don’t know what crack I was on when I decided to make a Green Throttle app out of it.  Before the OUYA came, I had it converted to storyboard, converted from a portrait to a landscape app and had most buttons responding to GT (Using your GT event add on) and you can even play it.  It’s full of bugs.  The performance is awful (I changed it from a 30fps app to a 60 fps app and still need to tune everything).  I’ve got graphic problems out the wazoo.  My 512x2048 background strips that I cycle through really can’t handle 1920px wide :-)  My menu is horrible in this format.   But by Monday I had ported it to OUYA with basically the same state I had it in for GT (perhaps a little further along).  With limited free time, I’m not sure how fast I’m going to get this app out.

I really enjoy it so far.  I’ve been fighting trying to get a PS3 controller working.  I think my son gave me a bad one.  It was working mostly then it stopped and won’t power back on…    Most of the games that are there are kinda weak IMHO so there is room for some good quality games.   I think my space shooter could be fun there.  I also think my trivia game could port well there and I’ve got a card game in the works that I think could play well there as well.   There is a total lack of casual/family games (well there is You Don’t know Jack but…).

I have one and have been testing out an app I have been developing since the beginning of the year.  Until the latest Corona builds with inputDevice support, I couldn’t really get the controller to behave the way I wanted.  Now, with build 1198, things are working pretty well.  I hope to release a drawing app soon after the IAP plugin for Corona Pro is available.

RoamingGamer - Thanks for the Corona Geek videos with all the information you provided on the new HID support in Corona builds.  Really helped me get started on fixing up the OUYA stuff again.

UPDATE - Rob and I both make statements to the effect that the OUYA game catalog is currently kind of weak.  Just to be clear, I still think (and I’m sure Rob agrees) that OUYA is a good product and the company is doing the right thing by having a very open publishing policy.  That said, having an open publishing policy (especially for a new platform) will always result in a (‘me first’) flood of lesser quality games.   :o

**So, once again (as I say below)…   :lol:****Calling all Corona game developers! :lol: ** Get on it, and make games for OUYA and other non-standard android devices like Android Mini PCs.  There is an untapped market there.

@Rob,

Yeah, I’ve run into that problem (re: using strips and recyclable background for horiz or vert scrolling).  When you scale, you can get artifacts.  I’m sure there is a proper way to fix that, but I’m not sure what it is.  My best guess is to create a single image with extra edges.  Then, assuming your strip has say 12 strips, of which two (2) are extras (one on each side), you treat the image like a spritesheet and cycle through 2…11 over and over.  This should solve the artifact issue.  The extra end images deal with edge-blending artifacts. 

Now that I’ve thought about this, I’ll try this out and post about it if the concept works.

As far as the current selection being WEAK. I agree.  We’re seeing a few good games and many ‘me first’ games.

So, all reading community members!!!  Make good games and put them up on OUYA!  Rob needs more games to play. :wink: and so do I.

One last thing.  Great article/tutorial! ==> http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2013/08/27/tutorial-introduction-to-game-controllers/

@tonygod - Thanks and don’t forget to read Rob’s recent article. (link above)

Great article, very useful reference.  Thanks for posting, Rob!

Now I just have to figure out the axis stuff.  It’s going to be a blog post that will challenge my communications skills :-) 

Looking forward to reading it!

I don’t have an OUYA yet…but I’m going to buy one soon and try my luck at porting some apps :slight_smile: