Appodeal Admob Issue

I have not updated my apps since the switch to Solar2D. I have always used Appodeal in beta modular form with no issues. However, now the only way I can successfully build for Android is to comment out the line for admob:

['plugin.appodeal.beta.GoogleAdMob'] = { publisherId = 'com.coronalabs' },

I wouldn’t really care, but admob yields the vast majority of the app’s income vs the rest of the networks.

Here is the console error if I include admob:

Execution failed for task ':App:processReleaseManifest'.
03:56:14.953  > Manifest merger failed : uses-sdk:minSdkVersion 15 cannot be smaller than version 16 declared in library [com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:19.3.0] C:\Users\Anon\.gradle\caches\transforms-2\files-2.1\6e30f0dab0916d4c8d33d20cc615b652\jetified-play-services-ads-19.3.0\AndroidManifest.xml as the library might be using APIs not available in 15
03:56:14.953    	Suggestion: use a compatible library with a minSdk of at most 15,
03:56:14.953    		or increase this project's minSdk version to at least 16,
03:56:14.953    		or use tools:overrideLibrary="com.google.android.gms.ads.impl" to force usage (may lead to runtime failures)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I think the AdMob plugin needs updating. I have posted very recently about iOS interstitials that can be circumvented and the need for the latest GMA SDK.

A lot of ad generated revenue is in jeopardy without the update as you can see from the release notes.
https://developers.google.com/admob/ios/rel-notes

“Apps are strongly recommended to request App Tracking Transparency authorization for IDFA access in order to monetize effectively on iOS 14.”

Can you post your full build settings

Either add minSdk to your build settings:

android =
{
        minSdkVersion = "16",
}

or force a minSdk on the library by adding a manifest child element again under android and your build settings (this is riskier but has worked for me).

manifestChildElements = 
        {
            -- Array of strings
            [[
            <uses-sdk tools:overrideLibrary="com.google.android.gms.ads.impl" />
            ]]
        },

Hmmm, I tried both, and neither have an effect on the build failure. Same error, strange no? Here is is the build.settings @agramonte @mysticeti :

build.settings (5.6 KB)

I don’t think you can have 2 android sections. The second one is probably over-writing the first one.

1 Like

You are absolutely right, I didn’t notice I had the bottom android permissions section below, I’m sure that will fix it, thanks buddy! Is there any advantage to using the ‘riskier’ method?

Well there are still a bunch of android devices out there using the old version especially in poor countries and on the Amazon store.

Ah, I see. So, the ‘risk’ would be limited to those users you mentioned experiencing app crashes, but to everyone else, no difference. What has your experience been using the riskier method. Big jump in crashes/ANR’s?

No. I have never used that tag on admob. I have it used it for the following:

Tapjoy - Works fine I don’t see any difference.
Flurry - Fails silently. Still reports session start but events are not reliable.
Tappx - Fails silently.